The Community Resilience Challenge is a collaboration of non-profits, municipalities, businesses and individuals working together to take practical action for a more healthy, just and resilient future.
The Challenge is in response to the urgent need to build resilience in our homes and communities in the wake of climate change, drought and social injustice. The campaign focuses on positive solutions that groups work on together through our Calls to Action: Grow food, Reduce Waste, Save Water, Conserve Energy and Build Community.
Meet the Community Resilience Challenge Organizers:
Sustainable Contra Costa: Sustainable Contra Costa provides programs and services that educate residents, students, businesses, and community leaders about how to implement sustainable practices.
Daily Acts: Daily Acts is a sustainability non-profit that inspires action to create more nourishing, connected, and resilient communities. Grounded in the core belief that every choice you make matters, we take a heart-centered approach to personal and community transformation.
What is Community Resilience? Why does it matter?
Resilience: “the ability to anticipate risk, limit impact, and bounce back rapidly through survival, adaptability, evolution, and growth in the face of turbulent change.” (Community and Regional Resilience Institute)
We are facing an urgent need to build resilience in our homes, neighborhoods and communities in the wake of climate change, drought and social injustice; encouraging individuals and organizations to tackle actions as a community that allow us to get our basic needs taken care of while we reduce carbon emissions build vibrant, equitable, regenerative, localized communities. We want to re-create our future together in ways that are not based on cheap, plentiful and polluting oil BUT on localized food, sustainable energy sources, reduced carbon emissions, resilient local economies and an enlivened sense of community well-being.
How can this approach to building resilience help me and my community, other than fighting climate change?
The Community Resilience Challenge is a win-win-win in so many ways –
1) It helps YOU:
- have fun and meet new people! How cool is it to hang out with people to work on a positive project together?
- save money by swapping, bartering; or reducing your water or energy bill.
- become healthier & stronger by planting a garden or participating in a group bike ride.
2) It helps the local economy by pledging to buying from local businesses.
3) It helps your neighborhood by creating a strong sense of community and safer neighborhoods, when you participate in workshops and work parties with neighbors and community members.
What are the goals of the Community Resilience Challenge?
- We want to support individuals and groups who have previously not been involved in resilience or sustainability efforts to commit to taking action to build resiliency in our homes and communities; by committing to taking individual action through our Pledges, and by participating in community events and projects.
- To honor and shine the spotlight on the many existing exemplary programs that build community resilience; and
- To challenge emerging leaders and groups to lead projects or to commit to doing those things we have “been meaning” to do.